3.17.2009

When Life Hands You a Lemon. Make Lemonade.

Literally. I have been on a lemon kick. Sometimes I feel like I am still pregnant because I get these cravings and I have to fulfill them. I bought a bag of lemons last week on sale. And I have been coming up with ways to use them. Obviously, I made a lemon bundt cake last week.

Here is the recipe for it: (I did not create it and unfortunately I don't remember where it came from, but it is soooo good, I think I got it off of some website) Oh, and this is not for those calorie watchers. :)

Ingredients: 2 1/4c. flour, 2 c. sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2tsp. baking soda, 3 lg. eggs, 1 tbsp. lemon rind grated, 1 tsp. vanilla, 1 c. butter softened, 1 sm. carton sour cream

Put all the ingredients into large mixing bowl. Blend mixture at low speed, then beat at medium speed 3 minutes. Put in greased and floured bundt pan. Bake at 325 for 1 hour. Cool completely. Drizzle with glaze.

Lemon Glaze: 1 c. sugar, lemon juice (1-2 tbsp).

Mix powdered sugar with enough lemon juice to make glaze to drizzle.
_________________________________________________
Last night I made Lemon-Cream Cheese Cupcakes. It is suppose to make a batch of 24. But I just could not. stop. licking. the. bowl. And I ended up with like 17. Oops.

This recipe came from a Food and Family Kraft magazine. And again, not for those calorie watchers. But it is great for those who want to be happy. Because eating one makes your very, very happy.

Ingredients: 1 pkg. white cake mix, 1 pkg (4-serving size) Jell-o Lemon Flavor Instant Pudding & Pie Filling, 1 c. water, 4 egg whites, 2 tbsp. oil, 1 pkg. (16oz) powdered sugar, 1 pkg. cream cheese softened, 1/4 c. butter softened, 2 tbsp, lemon juice, 1 tsp. grated lemon peel plus more for garnishing if desired

Beat cake mix, dry pudding mix, water, egg whites, and oil in large bowl on low speed until moistened. Beat on medium speed 2 min. Spoon into 24 muffin cups. Bake at 350 for 21-24 minutes.

Cream-Cheese Icing: beat sugar, cream cheese, butter, juice, and lemon grated peel on low speed until well blended. Frost cupcakes.

__________________________________________________

And lastly, use lemons to make...lemonade! I can't believe I had never made real lemonade before last night. It is way easy and taste terrific. It will be perfect on a day like today. I plan on sitting on the back porch and enjoying a nice glass and the 70's degree weather.

Ingredients: 2 lemons freshly squeezed, 1 c. sugar, water

Mix the lemon juice and sugar, then just add water until you like it!

_____________________________________________________

Please don't think I am this major baker or anything. Yes, I like to bake and cook. But I do not do it all the time. All of this was really just out of self-satisifaction. I had a craving. That is all. I hope one reader will enjoy at least one of these recipes!

P.S. I haven't posted in a couple of days because I felt like the last post was way lame. And I wanted to wait till I had something better to share. I mean I love label-makers, but I don't think it was blog worthy. Oh, well. I think food is always blog worthy.






No comments: