12.25.2009

Blessed.

We woke up in our new-old home. It was perfect. There weren't a whole lot of presents under the tree. In fact, Audrey only opened one from us. She opened pretend food to go with a wooden kitchen set we got her. I had been storing this kitchen set since July. I bought it on craigslist for a really good deal. I can't wait to watch Audrey's imagination grow while playing with it.


We then headed to my dad's house to spend time with the family since my brother just returned. It was our typical family gathering. Food. Laughter. And lots of noise. That's what you get when you are from a family of six kids that just keeps getting bigger with babies and spouses. At this point my dad has 12 sets of pajamas to buy (our Christmas Eve tradition), 12 stockings to fill (I still get a filled stocking, which is quite exciting and totally brings out the kid in me), and numerous gifts to wrap. I have always been so impressed that he does it all since my mom passed almost 4 years ago.

Today I did a lot of the baking, cooking, and cleaning. But while doing it I just felt so blessed. I felt blessed that I was in a warm home with home-cooked food. I had brothers and sisters loving on Audrey. A dad with a great sense of humor and a heart for others. A place to relax and play games. I could grab a glass of wine or a cup of coffee or some eggnog or just a classic Coke. Can you say, blessed, because I most certainly am. Now, we may not have an abundant bank account or the fanciest car. But I have way more than I ever deserve. Of course, my most prized possession, which is priceless, is my darling Audrey Rose.

Audrey enjoyed Christmas dinner. She doesn't really let me feed her much anymore, she has to be holding a spoon. Don't let the picture fool you, half the time her spoon is upside down and the food is everywhere. Oh, and yes, she is sporting a lovely dish towel as a bib because her always organized and prepared mama forgot a bib.
I hope you all had a blessed Christmas Day.

No comments: