4.01.2009

Thrifty Thursday: Homemade Cleaners.

It's time. Time to spring clean. I can finally understand why they call it spring clean. Because you actually feel somewhat motivated to do it now. Back in January I thought it should have been called winter cleaning, because I was stuck inside all day, and I had no choice but to clean. But now. Now I can open up the windows. Let in the breeze. And try to enjoy the cleaning process. Plus, I have this adorable book that sits on my coffee table reminding me everyday that I should be cleaning. In the book, it gives some great advice on using everyday household items to create cleaners. So I thought I would share...

general cleaner: mix 1/2 c. vinegar, 1/4 c. baking soda, into 2 gallons of water

stainless steel: baking soda and water, rinse well and buff with a clean soft cloth

silver: remove tarnish by placing silver in a large bowl with 2 tsp. of salt, 2 tsp. of baking soda, and a piece of aluminum foil. Cover with boiling water and wait 3 minutes. OR polish with plain white toothpaste. :)

furniture:
varnished wood: quart of water over two tea bags of plain black tea, let cool (Who would have thought to use tea, huh?)
scuffed furniture: apply vegetable oil and buff gently with fine-grade steel wool

floors, vinyl: scrub greasy troubled spots with a halved lemon, then mop with an all-purpose cleaner (You know, those spots around the fridge and stove, yuck!)

No comments: