1.19.2011

get your cook on.

Yesterday I woke up for the day and one of the first things I did was pray for grace. [Along with starting coffee, opening the curtains, and making my bed. All part of the morning routine, yo.] I knew I wouldn't be able to function without it. I was going on day three of very, very little sleep. Also known as, Naomi going through a growth spurt and eating like her life depended on it. [Oh, wait it does.]

He answered my prayers, because, somehow I managed to have a good day, despite the {major} lack of sleep.

I mean, you know, it's a good day when your kitchen looks like this.


I was getting my cook on and bake on. What's that, you ask? Well, I don't share too many recipes here. But this is a good one, I tell you. It meets all my requirements. [Easy. Inexpensive. Good for you. Recognize all the ingredients.]

I made some delish Winter Squash and White Bean Stew.


You'll want to write this one down. And probably make it tonight too. Just sayin'.

[This is not an original recipe of mine, I took it from the crock-pot cookbook Fix-It and Forget-It.]

Ingredients: 1 c. chopped onion, 1 Tbsp. olive oil, 1/2 tsp. ground cumin, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. cinnamon, 1 garlic clove, minced, 3 cups peeled, butternut squash, cut into cubes, 1 1/2 c. chicken broth, 19oz. can cannellini beans, drained (I used Great Northern beans because that is what I had in stock), 14 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained, 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro

Directions: Combine all those lovely ingredients into your slow cooker. Cover. Cook on high 1 hour. Reduce heat to low and cook 2-3 hours.

We enjoyed it with a dollop of sour cream on top. (You didn't think I was that healthy, did you?) And my two-year old LOVED the squash.

EASY-PEASY I tell you. (Also, do you know the trick with the onion? Put it in the freezer for about 5 minutes before you cut it and you won't shed a tear. I do this every time and it works.)

Then for dessert. I went with the classic Nestle Toll House cookie recipe on the back of the chocolate chips. You can't go wrong with that recipe. The trick is, take the cookies out of the oven when they don't look quite done. They will finish baking on the cooling rack and then be oh, so soft.

Now go get your cook on. I would also love for you to share a recipe you tried recently and loved.

No comments: