12.06.2010

the story of the tree that came to be.

It's something I look forward to every year. Picking the tree. Audrey is going on her third year of going to the same tree farm that I went to as a little girl.

7 weeks old, 13 months, 25 months

We got our red flag and went to the field to find just the right one. The lucky one that would sit in our home for the next month and fill it with a beautiful fresh pine aroma.

Since there weren't a whole lot to choose from (as there has been in the past) because of the draught we experienced this summer, we chose pretty quickly.
Andrew, me wearing Naomi, Audrey, and my dad aka Gramps

This poor tree. We totally faked it out. It thought it was getting home. Until we entered the barn...

There were pre-cut trees shipped in from Michigan. A beautiful Frasier Fir was callin' my name. I peered out to the tree that was already cut and ready for us, the one we chose, and then I looked back at the Frasier Fir again. But, I want that one.

The nice gentleman there didn't want to disappoint a new mama, I suppose. He overheard my plea for the FF and he said he would do an exchange. An exchange of trees, who would have thought? Not me.

But hey, I'll take it. And I'll take that FF I wanted.

Us with THE CHOSEN ONE.

And so now, as our beautiful Frasier Fir sits in our living room, I can't help but think about that poor other tree that almost got picked. Supposedly, it is in the barn, wrapped, ready for someone else to pick it and give it a home.

But I'm not going to lie, I sure am glad we did that exchange.

 Here is the tree with just the Christmas tree lights on, you know, to get the full effect of this beauty.
[You know that book, Where's Waldo? Well, how about Where's That Candy Cane? Can you find the only candy cane on our tree? And also? One of my favorite things about this picture-- is the picture of my mama in the back when she was a young lady. Now there is a real beauty.]

No comments: